Thursday, April 23, 2009

Skipping College

I've been reading some articles about basketball players skipping college and going right to the NBA. A recent stury I read, about a 6' 11'' tall high school junior, made me think more about this topic recently. This kid, Jeremy Tyler, wants to skip his senior year of high school and all of college to go play ball in Europe and then come ack here in 2 years to go into the NBA draft.

Only a year ago, I would have been in an outrage about his decision. I was pissed when Koby and Lebron did it but now I think I'm over it. I realize why; we have forgotten what college is for. College is not for some guy or girl to get a free ride through school for playing a sport. I know it generates $$$ for the school but thats because of the culture we have created. I like the fact that these guys are skipping college. And frankly if this keeps up it makes my degree and those of you who have one or may decide to get one more legitamate in my eyes. When I saw Shaq finish his degree I thought to myself "Why?". I mean, I think he at least paid for his final year so thats good. I went to Rutgers and majored in Communication (mainly because my parents would not help me out if I majored in what I wanted, music). I never saw any athletes show up and I know for fact a vast majority of them were Communication majors.

Any who...keep skipping college guys and girls. Go pro right away...make my degree more legit.

4 comments:

the damn zebra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
the damn zebra said...

i think you would have jumped at the opportunity to get paid out the nose to play basketball and blaze euro gash at seventeen!

the damn zebra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

More folks should start skipping college. We need a new found respect for vocational schools in this country. We need to actually train our citizens to do something.

Followers