Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Watch Fuckers Inc.
My girlfriend sent me a link to some cool watches the other day and even though the prices were reasonable ($200 range) I couldn't help but be a little upset about the whole watch culture. Why are they so expensive? I have a $40 Casio G-Shock that I got on amazon. This watch has been in 3 different oceans, numerous chlorinated pools and slammed against river rocks in Yosemite National Park. It still works perfectly. I could maybe understand if the watch has diamonds and gold and shit...in that case you should just be paying for the precious materials and a little extra for the watch technology (which on those watches is easily 20 years since its last upgrade). Also, cellphones are basically our watches now anyway so even a watch's necessity is waning. I don't know...I guess it just bothered me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
There is a lot that goes into a watch and though I'd agree that some of the prices are exorbitant the prices are based on the prestige versus the composition.
Your Casio GShock is a fine watch and I doubt anyone could say otherwise. Can it take a lickin'? Though Timex would be pissed obviously the answer is yes. Does it tell time accurately, of course. Does it carry prestige with it? Nope.
Remember, many watches are made in different ways. There is quartz movement and mechanical movement, there are kinetic powered and solar powered (battery, winding etc), hand made and assembly line built. Many variables make many different prices.
For some that's important. For you and I, obviously not so much but who are we to decide how much and for who? This is where ultimately the gripe would boil down too. We have choice though. My favorite watch on the market is the Rolex Daytona Two Town with Roman Numerals and Mother of Gold Face. If I had the finances I could secure one for about $18,000. My choice could also to be the Invincta Speedway which is a known Rolex Knock-Off that looks almost identical for $119 from a trusted seller on Ebay. But again, it depends on what the buyer is "buying". An instrument that merely tells time or collectible piece of jewelery hand made with the finest of metals that appreciate in value over time. There is no right or wrong answer there for no reason to stress yourself. ;)
If you're in the market for a good $200ish watch you can't beat a Seiko though from my personal experience. I probably have 6 of them and they're the best bang for the buck. Many different styles, many different types and best of all a value price. They use great mechanics and their crystal faces are some of the best in defense against scratches.
Post a Comment