Friday, November 14, 2008

Proposition 8

What is there to say? Giving rights to someone then taking them away seems impossible but we managed to do it.  When I look at issues like this I try to think of myself as a kid in a social studies class like 50 years from now reading about our prejudice and our scared forefathers.  I am 100% sure children will be looking back on gay marriage one day and be asking themselves "Why was this ever illegal?"  Its like the way most of us feel when we read about segregation or African Americans counting as a fraction of a human being when they voted back in the day.  We are amazed at the short-sightedness of our forefathers.  This issue is no different.  
It would be a waste of time to rant about how pissed off I am but I can not even express my anger in words; this is an atrocity of the highest order.
To the people who voted for it:  Gay marriage WILL be legalized in your lifetime and there is nothing you can do about it.  You should just learn to love your fellow gay and lesbian neighbors and accept them as equals because they are not going anywhere and they will not stop fighting until they win their equality.  Do you have the energy to fight for something that DOES NOT affect you?  For the rest of you life?!  We'll see.  My guess is no.

No comments:

Followers